Grants Available

Below are grants available as of January 2017, please check with Citizen Information Service of the Department of Agriculture to confirm availability

Young Farmers Capital Investment Scheme

The new young farmer grants (Young Farmer Capital Investment Scheme) covers an array of equipment and buildings.

Details of the new grants for young farmers, which cover 60% of farm investment, was announced last year.

The young farmer grants come under the Young Farmer Capital Investment Scheme, is the first of the new Targeted Modernisation Schemes (TAMS II).

The Minister for Agriculture, Simon Coveney said the Scheme is very important – offering eligible young farmers a special rate of aid of 60% of investment costs, compared to the standard rate of 40% which will be generally available to other farmers.

An indicative allocation of €120m has been made available to young farmers under the terms of the new Scheme over the full RDP period.

See if you are eligible for the scheme

See a full list of eligible investments under the scheme.

Better Energy Homes Scheme

The Better Energy Homes Scheme provides grants to homeowners to improve energy efficiency in their homes. Landlords and owners of more than one property can also apply for a grant under the scheme. It is administered by the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI).


Grants are available for the following energy-saving work:

  • Roof insulation
  • Wall insulation - for example, cavity wall, internal dry lining or external insulation
  • Heating controls upgrade
  • Installation of a high-efficiency boiler (more than 90% efficiency) including a heating controls upgrade
  • A Building Energy Rating (BER) after the energy-saving work is carried out (you must get this BER to qualify for the grant)
  • Solar heating

See the Application Guide (pdf) for summary performance requirements under each of these measures. Your contractor(s) must carry out the works in accordance with detailed standards set out in the Contractor Code of Practice and Technical Specification (pdf).

SEAI publishes detailed FAQs about the Better Energy Homes Scheme.

Housing for older people

Grant schemes

Housing Aid for Older Persons Scheme

The Housing Aid for Older Persons Scheme aims to improve the living conditions of older people by carrying out minor repairs to the main areas of their homes.

The type of work that is grant-aided varies from one local authority to another. In general, it can include structural repairs or improvements; rewiring; repair or replacement of windows and doors; the provision of water, sanitary services or heating; cleaning and painting; radon remediation; and any other repair or improvement work considered necessary.

Check with your local authority to see what types of work it covers under the scheme.

Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability

If you need to adapt your home to meet the needs of a member of the household who has a disability, you can apply for a Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability.

The grant can help you to make changes and adaptations to your home, for example, making it wheelchair-accessible, extending it to create more space, adding a ground-floor bathroom or toilet or a stair-lift.

If you are buying or building a new home, you may qualify for this grant, but at a lower rate.

Mobility Aids Grant Scheme

The Mobility Aids Grant Scheme provides grants for works designed to address mobility problems in the home. For example, the grant can be used for the purchase and installation of handrails. It is mainly for older people, but people with disabilities can also access it.

The amount of assistance you can get under this Scheme is less than under the Housing Aid for Older Persons Scheme and the Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability. It is a useful scheme if you need minor adaptations or improvements done quickly.

Better Energy Warmer Homes Scheme

The Better Energy Warmer Homes Scheme aims to improve the energy efficiency and warmth of homes owned by people on low incomes. It is operated by the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI) and is available nationwide. It covers attic insulation, draught-proofing, lagging jackets, energy-efficient bulbs, cavity wall insulation and energy advice.

Security measures for older people

The Seniors Alert Scheme provides funds to local community and voluntary organisations to install personal monitored alarms and items of home security. Grants can be made to provide security measures for people aged 65 or over who are living alone, or only with other older people, and who are unable themselves to install or buy such equipment.

Grant scheme to replace lead pipes and fittings

A new grant scheme has been set up to help low-income households with the cost of replacing lead piping in their homes. The scheme is being introduced under the Domestic Lead Remediation (Financial Assistance) Regulations 2016 (pdf).

More details of the scheme are on, along with a combined information note and application form (pdf).


You must own the dwelling and live in it as your principal private residence. The lead pipes and fittings being replaced must form part of a system that carries water for preparing food or drinks or for direct human consumption.

You must get the remedial work done before applying for the grant. Any contractor that you use must give you a current tax clearance certificate. They must provide itemised receipts, detailing the work carried out and the associated costs. They must also certify in writing that any materials used, including pipes and fittings, are of appropriate quality and that a proper standard of workmanship has been applied. You will need to enclose these certificates and receipts with your application for the grant.

You must also provide evidence of a risk of lead contamination in your home. Acceptable evidence is either:

  • A notification from your water supplier advising that your water system is likely to contain lead pipes and fittings


  • A laboratory certificate issued within the previous 6 months, showing a parametric value for lead in your water supply that is over the statutory limit. The issuing laboratory must be accredited by the Irish National Accreditation Board (INAB) for testing for lead in drinking water.

Evidence of income

The grant is means-tested – see ‘Rates’ below. You will have to provide evidence of your household income when applying. This is calculated as your gross taxable income in the previous tax year, together with that of your spouse or partner. The required evidence is:

  • For employees paying tax under PAYE, a balancing statement (P21) or equivalent document from Revenue
  • For self-employed people, a notice of income tax assessment or equivalent document from Revenue
  • For people on social welfare payments, a statement of income from the Department of Social Protection

Local authority home improvement loans

Local authority loans are available to owner-occupiers towards the cost of necessary works to improve, repair or extend their existing houses.


You may be eligible for a local authority home improvement loan if you can show the local authority that you cannot get a loan from a bank or building society and:

  • Your house needs improving, repairing or extending due to overcrowding and your income satisfies the income test below, or
  • You are registered on a housing waiting list with a local authority, or
  • You are a local authority tenant or a tenant purchaser and you want to buy a private house and return your present house to the local authority,
  • You are a tenant for more than one year of a home provided by a housing association under the Rental Subsidy Scheme and you want to buy a private house and return your present house to the local authority.

Note that the income test only applies to the first category; if you are covered by the second, third or fourth category you are exempt from the income test.

The income test

  • Single-income household

If your gross income before tax in the last income tax year was €40,000 or less, you are eligible.

  • Two-income households

Multiply the gross income (before tax) of the higher earner in the last income tax year by 2.5 and add the gross income of the other earner in the last income tax year. If the answer is €100,000 or less, you are eligible.